Thursday, September 4, 2008

Missing Something? By E. Douglas Bohannon
Through my various affiliations, I look for people who have demonstrated, in their chosen field, the competencies that I am searching for, and I look for ways to disturb them and get them thinking about what they’re missing in their current career
First, you have to establish a relationship to learn what drives their value system and their career choices. Then you demonstrate to them how your opportunity can fulfill their needs In our model, we recruit independent contractor agents. I once recruited, through an agent referral, a very successful salesman from IBM who was making a comfortable six-figure income. But he lacked independence because his destiny was controlled by someone else. He wanted his upward limit to be determined by his own effort. I saw that he was hungry and that he had a good work ethic. Also, he was an existing customer with our company for a number of years, so he understood the culture.
So I gave him a list of my agents and asked him to go visit them and to ask any questions he wanted, to help him make an educated decision. That way he would get unfiltered responses to his questions.
I was able to demonstrate to him, with the help of other successful agents on my team, that he could have both the financial freedom and the lifestyle that he was missing at IBM. This individual is now a successful leader and recruiter in our organization.
The key is to look for successful people everywhere, build a relationship, and demonstrate how your opportunity can satisfy their needs.

E. Douglas Bohannon, LUTCF CLU ChFC
Agency Field Executive
State Farm Insurance Companies
Philadelphia, PA

No comments: