Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Characteristic of an Ideal career

Dear Leaders,
When the vision is clear nothing else matters, there’s always time
Passion comes from deep conviction. Let’s help others find their passion in serving and creating a life.
Richaard

Characteristics of an Ideal Career
In 1972, when I was considering a career after military duty, I was fortunate to have a wise Dad to suggest that I visit with several people representing all industries and professions, to get a good understanding of what I should look for in a career. Equipped with a yellow pad and a pencil, I started out to find a career. I interviewed several people, but to this day, I distinctly remember, and agree with, the advice that three men in particular shared with me.
- The first individual was a salesman for a paper company. He said, "Whatever you do, look for something that pays you what your worth." This was tremendous advice about working long and hard hours but making a good income. It spoke of being on a commission income... of controlling my own destiny. Great advice!
-The second individual I interviewed was a vice president of a large corporation. My Dad died one year after these interviews, and this man eventually became my stepfather for 13 years until his death. His advice was to "Find a career that keeps you stimulated, a career that challenges you every day." If only he would have known what tremendous advice this truly was because, after 30 years in the insurance and investment industry, I have never been bored. It is always challenging and stimulating.
-The third individual was my pastor. He had played a tremendous part in my growth as an individual, and his advice was special. He had always thought I would go into some type of church ministry, but there was no calling. His advice was, "Find a career that allows you to spend all your life being a part of people's lives. When you finish your career, you should be able to look back and say that you have had an impact on people."
I remember my first death claim as a young agent the impact I had on the situation and the impact it had on me. I have spent 30 years helping people reach their financial goals and take care of families. I have had an impact.
Did I find a career that met all of the suggestions these people had for a 23-year-old? I believe so. Each phase of my career proves they had great wisdom. The passion of serving people while getting paid and never being bored is what make this career rewarding.
So when I'm recruiting, I share the same advice with young people who are looking for a rewarding, meaningful career.

James H. Shoemaker, CLU ChFC CFP
President
Shoemaker Financial Advisors
Securian Financial Network
Germantown, TN
========================================================================================

Richaard Wong RFP, ChLP, FChFP Best Practices, Training & Development
33/F, AIG Tower, 1 Connaught Road Central Hong Kong Tel: +852 2832 6762 Fax: + 852 2572 1792
Richaard-kl.wong@aig.com
“Leadership by the Compass not the Clock” – Dr. Covey
Check out previous articles at: http://regleaders.blogspot.com/

Notice of Confidentiality
This transmission contains information that may be confidential. It has been prepared for the sole and exclusive use of the intended recipient, his team and on the basis agreed with that person. If you are not the intended recipient of the message (or authorized to receive it for the intended recipient), you should notify us immediately; you should delete it from your system.

No comments: